Monday, July 4, 2011

The Universe Fought Against Me - And LOST!!!!


First off, it took me longer than it really should have to decide and get signed up to do today's race.  Combined with deciding whether I was going to spend the money on it with the fact that July really snuck up on me, I found myself not registered a week before the race.

But my friend Jenn, pictured with me above, offered to get my packet on Friday.  THANKS JENN! 

On Saturday I was feeling exceptionally fit.  Don't ask me why cause I don't know.  But I normally do not do any tuck jumps in class. 


On Saturday I decided to do SIX!!!!!

About 5:00pm that night I noticed a tight feeling in my left knee.  I had Josh stand over my legs and compare both knees and the left was definitely swollen.  I spent Saturday night and Sunday icing and babying my knees.

On Sunday night, the night before the race, I prepped my shirt/bib and my timing chip on my shoes then went to bed.  I rolled over and felt something under my leg.  I had dumped my race packet out on my bed so figured that I had forgot to pick something up.  I picked up what was under my leg.......and it MOVED!!!  It was an ugly bug!  And I'm not a fan of bugs on my wall, much less to find one under my leg in bed.

So of-course I jump out of bed screaming trying to find a shoe.  I knocked it off my bed and then smashed it (I'm sure much more aggressively than needed).  But how REALLY am I supposed to fall asleep in that bed after that!  I did a very detailed look of the bed and the floor.  No sign of other bugs.  I knew it was a fluke but I was grossed out.  I went out to the living room to sleep on the couch but then Josh came home and he was going to want to watch tv so I went back into my room.

I was pretty tired so I figured that I would fall fast asleep.  But then it was like 7 or 8 hours since I had had dinner and I was laying there with my tummy growling.  So I got up and ate a 98% fat free hotdog and drank a glass full of water.

I don't remember going back to bed.  By that time I was tired enough to not worry about the bug and I must have fallen asleep before my head hit the pillow.


Glad that I got my rest, cause I was able to get up much earlier than I like to get up on a day off and run a fabulous race with these wonderful ladies.  Jenn and I have been friends for about 4 years, but we just met Carrie this past week at a Sole Sisters run.  Once again, the great benefits of being apart of the fitness world!

When I left for the race I was thinking with the knee and the lack of sleep, my goal was just to run and finish the race.  I wasn't really concerned with pace.  Glad I didn't fret about it, I improved my time by 51 seconds.  My new PR is 12:41 per mile.  YAY!!!  Very happy with this. 

Now Jenn and I are looking to start training for a half marathon.  We haven't chosen one, but are definitely looking for the end of year and the flattest one we can find.   ;o)



No comments:

Post a Comment