Saturday, July 16, 2011

Drinking the Kool-Aid with the Cult I Joined...

So, recently I joined a cult....a cult called Sole Sisters....and they suggested I drink the Kool-Aid.   ;o)

By Kool-Aid, I mean Vita Coco Coconut Water.  Those who have known me long enough to have discussed food likes and dislikes know that I HATE coconut.  I don't eat Mounds, Almond Joys, the frosting on German Chocolate Cake, Carmel Delights, or anything else that has coconut in it.

So when Marianne said that they had samples for us after our run on Wednesday, the chance of me trying it was very iffy.  I asked my new friend and pace leader, Toby, if it had a strong coconut taste.  She said that it was not strong.  More of a sweet, aquired taste.  She also mentioned that you can put flavors in it if you like and that after a long, hot run, drinking coconut water really hit the spot. 

With a slogan like, "like sticking a straw into a coconut," it is absolutely shocking that I tried it.  But, after the run, I took a sip of my friend Carrie's open bottle.  Both Carrie and I were trying it for the first time and we both said, "Well, I don't HATE it, but I don't know if I like it either." 


I took a bottle and put it in my fridge.  Remember that this was on Wednesday.  Today is Saturday and it took me this long to try it again. 

I did just open it up and took another sip.  It is sweet.  I still couldn't say if I liked it.  I decided to add my Energy Pomegranate Lemonade flavoring to it.  This improved it greatly.  Again, not sure whether I liked it or not, but with the flavoring, I was able to drink it steadily. 


There are several flavors that I would like to try.  Peach and Mango, Pineapple, Acai & Pomegranate. 

So, why try Vita Coco?  Well, the bottle touts the following:
  • all natural
  • 15 times the electrolytes than leading sports drinks
  • more potassium than 2 bananas, which helps keep your body properly hydrated and prevents cramping
  • no fat, no cholesterol, low in calories

Also found on the website:
  • No sugars are added, but there are natural sugars from fruit used in the flavored drinks
  • Should be drank within 24 hours of opening
  • Is pasturized
  • Safe for pregnant women
  • South Americans drink it like orange juice
  • Brazilian woman use it as a face toner and to rinse their hair when shampooing

Locally, they can be found at Krogers and Schnucks.  I will probably try some of the other flavors, depending on price.  If any of you do or have tried them, let me know your recommendations  ;o)

(Oh - BTW - if there ever was such a thing as a "Good" or "Positive" Cult to join, Sole Sisters or any part of the fitness world would be it!)

1 comment:

  1. I love coconut anything!! And of course you guys try it the one week I'm not there... hope Marianne has some more samples for me!!

    ReplyDelete