Friday, July 8, 2011

Setting and Re-evaluating my goals

I've mentioned before that I have always been a goal setter, but that in the last couple of years I've been bad about my follow through.

You've probably also heard me talk about my push goals and making a plan.  I thought I would share with you what I mean by my push goals and a little bit about it.

In June I started Chalene Johnson's 30 Day Challenge to master organization and achieve your goals.

http://www.30daypush.com/

Here's the basic idea.   How can you set goals and make to-do lists if you don't know what your values are.  You can't; at least not goals or a to-do list with any real meaning.

So the first step is determine the top 3 values in your life.  What are the top 3 things that are absolutely the most important things for you to not lose (or to gain or to accomplish).  And we can't just say, "Family".  What aspect about your family do you not want to lose? 

Once you've decided on your top 3 values, then it's time to set some goals.  We first brainstorm, coming up with as many as possible that all honor our top 3 values.  Then we narrow them down to our top 10 goals. 

From the top 10, you then decide on 2 or 3 that without them, the others aren't possible.  And these are your Push Goals.  1 or 2 of your push goals MUST be financial.  As much as we hate to admit it, money is important.  There is very little we can do without it. 

Then every day, you do a to do list.  You only put things on it that you HAVE to get done that day and try to make sure that there are at least 2 items that honor your Push goals (or other goals) and values. 

If every day you do a task or two that honors your Push goal, there is no reason why you shouldn't meet it.

Since I'm going to be resting and babying my knee, I'm going to spend the weekend re-watching my videos from the 30 day challenge and looking at my goals I had at the beginning and seeing if they are the same.  It is just as important to re-evaluate your goals occasionally as it is to set them in the first place.  It's important to make sure you are honoring your values, when even those can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment