Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Mind Set

I thought I would blog about my mind set right now in regards to losing weight.

Like everyone, I've tried and tried to lose weight.  Used several different methods and as a result failed at them all.  It has been in the last several years since I quit calling it a diet and starting calling it a life style change.  I did this for 2 reasons.  Being on a diet has such a bad connotation.  And, in my own mind, using the term basically set me up for failure.  Not only does "life style change" take away any ideas of a time frame, it really helps to set us up for the frame of mind that we need to be in for it to be successful.

This is why I like Weight Watchers.  It really does let me create a new life style and not just diet.  I think some people still tend to use it as a diet and if that's what works for them, that's great.  But for me, I know that I'm not always going to say no to potatoes and pasta.  I know that sometimes I'm going to go out to eat and I'm going to want both an appetizer and a dessert.  I know that I'm not going to go the rest of my life without having another margarita (or two or three in one night).

So, what I'm doing now is learning what I need to do in order to occassionally allow myself these things.  I'm getting active.  I have not been as active as I am now since high school pom pon.  Right now I'm no where near the point where I can eat anything I want whenever I want because I exercise.  But I am at a point where I know what I'm eating and I know what activity I'm doing.  So, I know what I can do to still have my exercise over power my food intake. 

Sometimes I feel bad when I plan on splurging or when I do it spur of the moment.  But, that's a mind set I'm trying to get over.  Basically because I feel like people are watching me thinking, "She is supposed to be dieting."  When really what I'm supposed to be doing is living.  Eventually I'll feel good that people are seeing me splurge and will think, "That's okay, she'll definitely work it off later."

I thought I would include a video of the type of workout I do 4 times a week.  This is NOT my class, but I thought was a fun video to show the types of things we do, as well as how enthusiastic everyone can get.  Maybe sometime soon I'll get a video of one of the classes I actually participate in.

No comments:

Post a Comment