Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dieter's Remorse

I try not to consider myself a dieter. I am making a lifestyle change. I have definitely started making better food choices, but I haven't been giving up the things that I know I will want to eat in the future. Life happens and unfortunately, food is a part of life. It's a matter of keeping track of what you've already eaten and then making decisions. Any one who has followed my journey so far knows that I think I am most successful when I plan.

True, we can tell ourselves these things, “If I don't have it today, it doesn't mean that I can't have it ever,” or, “Food is for survival, not entertainment.” These two quotes help me make a lot of good decisions. But I use them for the every day temptations. It's a matter of keeping track of what you've already eaten and then making decisions. Any one who has followed my journey so far knows that I think I am most successful when I plan.

Occasionally, I want a treat.

Tonight we are going for a night out. This is a night we have been planning for at least a month, but I would say longer. For several years now, Josh and I have chosen to wait to celebrate Valentine's Day till March. It just seems to be easier for us to spend money in March, and it's normal busy when we go to a restaurant, not Valentine's busy.

And it has been my plan to indulge. I have been making smart choices and saying no to foods I really like for months. I want to have a little bit of sin on my plate. ;o)

We are going to the movies and without a doubt, I will eat popcorn. I will get a kid's popcorn and I will not have butter put on it. I also will not put any of the flavored salts on it.

We are going to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. I will get a ribeye steak and I plan to only eat half of it, as well as half of my potato (no sour cream). I will limit myself to 1 roll with the yummy butter.

But........ever since we decided when and where we were going to go, I have been saying that I am going to have a margarita. I have wanted a margarita for WEEKS. I have not missed a margarita post on facebook that I haven't screamed (maybe in all caps on their wall) “I WANT A MARGARITA!!!”

Here is where Dieter's Remorse has come into play – or has the potential to come into play. As I've already put the food I plan on eating in my Weight Watchers Tracker (I'll keep the number to myself ;o) the point is that I tracked it), I am starting to think, do I REALLY want the points that drinking a margarita is going to give me?

Any of us who have tried to lose weight have had that point where we really, really wanted to splurge and cheat. And then after doing it thought to ourselves, “That totally wasn't even worth it.” And when trying to lose weight, there is nothing more disappointing than this scenario. Okay, well maybe thinking that you had a really good week and then finding you gained. But, next to that, there is nothing more disappointing.

Weight Watchers says that if you have craved something specific for several days, it is a true craving and you should give into it so that the craving doesn't get worse making your splurge worse.

But....what about those times when you give in to your craving and you have Dieter's Remorse? I mean, it isn't really that serious. But, you've been doing so well that giving in feels a little bit like a failure (please don't take my comments here too seriously. I know that Dieter's Remorse or not – I've done a super job and will continue to do so even if I have the margarita).

So, the question is, “What is worse, having a craving that you don't give into and so the craving stays or to give in and then have Dieter's Remorse?”

I am leaning towards Weight Watcher's advise (they are the experts) and giving in. If I have Dieter's Remorse afterwards, no big deal. I'll have it, get over it, move on, and lose another 20 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment