Friday, August 12, 2011

Do I Annoy You?

The topic came up recently on whether us health nuts are annoying with all of our social media posts/comments/groups/blogs or just talk in general.

It is something I have thought about before this week.  About a month or so ago, a friend of mine posted on facebook that she was going to refrain from posting about her weight loss journey for a while because she thought some people might be tired of hearing it.  She told those who still wanted to know how she was doing to feel free to write and ask.

At that time, I wrote her and told her that I have had the same worry at times.  As you have noticed though, I have not refrained from making these posts or talking about health on my facebook page and blog or in person.

And here is why:

The negativity that can abound on facebook is ENORMOUS!  People who constantly complain about how they hate their jobs or their bosses.  How their spouses or significant others are horrible.  The number of times I used to see "FML" on a post was ridiculous.  "FML" is one of my biggest FB pet peeves. 

And let me clarify...just because I said, "used to see" doesn't mean that it has stopped happening.  It just means one of three things:
  1. I have blocked or deleted these people
  2. They have blocked or deleted me
  3. I have surrounded myself with enough positive people/energy that my wall just doesn't have enough room to report negativity to me.
So, if people are okay with reading or listening to these types of comments on a regular basis...cause let's face it... those who really do it, do it regularly...then why should it be so bothersome to read about my positive change in life and a strong desire to be fit and healthy?  If you are okay with the storm clouds, why be irritated at a little sunshine.


And then another reason I have not refrained is this.  Every so often, and actually pretty often, I get an email like this:

Hey! Youve been on my mind a lot lately. I know you started a new health kick and running and everything. I just want to know kind of how you got started. I really just need the motivation and umf to get going. So if you could share some of your tips :):) Talk to you soon!

Some of the reasons we hesitate to make the change from a sedentary lifestyle into one of activity is because we are afraid, we don't know what to expect, and we think it isn't going to really work.  I mean how many times have we or someone we know tried and failed.

But then you see someone you know has started and then you hear from them how great they feel and how they are accomplishing things they never thought they could.  And then you start to think you can...and then you learn that you can.

It was my friend Caitlin that wrote me the above email.  I wrote her and told her how it changed my life and the things that have provided the highest motivation.  And I told her that I'm the happiest when I'm working out or with my fitness friends, and so I'm studying so that maybe I can make some supplemental income by doing it.



Caitlin smiling before class....she doesn't know what she's gotten herself into!
 
Unlike some of the people I've gotten emails from, when I said to Caitlin, "You are welcome to join me for a workout," she said, "I'd love to!" and got the information.  I hadn't seen Cailtin in quite some time and so I was as excited to see her as I was that she was there to workout with me.  ;o)
 

Still smiling after  ;o)

A couple of times through class she gave me a look that said, "What did I get  myself into?"  But you could tell she was having fun!!!!  And at the end of class she said she was already trying to work out her schedule so that she could make several classes in the week.

Caitlin is also planning on giving Sole Sisters a try too.  I'm very excited to be able to be a part of Caitlin's new journey.

And because of this, and anyone else who might be starting to feel a little bit of interest or motivation towards physical activity, I am going to tell those who are annoyed by my frequent health posts:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment