Sunday, June 16, 2013

Oopsies - Recipe Review

I'm starting this post before the first batch is even out of the oven.  At this point, I'm not sure if by the end I'm going to say I like the recipe or not.  But, I figured that I could already start by telling you what I DO know.  ;o)

Recipe as taken off Facebook:


  • 3 eggs
  • 3.5 oz of cream cheese
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Whip egg whites together with salt until stiff.  Should be stiff enough that you can turn bowl upside down.

Mix egg yolks, cream cheese, & baking powder well.

Fold egg whites into the yolk mix; try to keep air in them.

Put 6 or 8 oopsies on a baking sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.


My Experience with the recipe:

First off, I didn't know how to "fold" eggs.  So I watched a video similar to this one:



Seems easy enough.

I separated my ingredients and got started.  I had two white plastic bowls that I generally use for my baking.  

Now, I use egg substitutes - so I will now think of the egg part of the recipe as this (also keep in mind that I'm an amateur - I am sure there are other ways to think of my measurements) :
  • 9 tbs of egg substitute
  • 9 tbs of egg white substitute
I started whipping the egg whites and salt by hand and started wondering very quickly if I was doing it right.  I was using a fork since I don't have a wisk.  So, I stopped and came back in to watch this video:



Okay...so I learned what I was doing wrong so far was using a plastic bowl.  I started over in a metal bowl.  Kept whipping by hand.  Still felt like there was a better way.  Wondered if I could use my beater.  Are beating eggs and whipping eggs the same?

So, I came back to the living room and looked up a new video that says I CAN use my mixer.  So, I did that and that cut down a lot of my time.

I then put my cream cheese (9 tbsp) into my egg substitute and mixed that.  Then did my folding.  





I used my cookie scoop to drop the mixture on my pan the first time.  I felt like they were a little small if I was going to want to use them as bread.  




I tried this one and am actually surprised by the realization I had.  It tasted like a flat version of my egg muffins.  (surprisingly, I haven't done a blog on my egg muffins - or at least not one that I can find.  I'm shocked!)  I don't know why I was surprised that they tasted like egg...were fluffy in the middle in middle.  Not what I was expecting.

Since I thought they were too small, I did another pan a little bigger.  These didn't turn out at all.  I couldn't even get them off the pan.  It is soaking now. 


So overall, I'm considering this a recipe fail.  I guess oopsie is right!  I will give it a second attempt in the future - but am guessing this isn't going to be a favorite in our household.  I'm so disappointed, as I was so excited to be trying this recipe this weekend.  I will have another one for you in the next couple of days....one that is just an idea that came to me in the grocery store.  



No comments:

Post a Comment