Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Back to Weight Watchers

I was very excited about my plans last night.  Even more excited that they happened.  ;o)  Nothing kept me away, including myself.

Last night I made my first (of many regular) appearances at Weight Watchers.  Through the meeting I was thinking about the blog I could do on this.  You are probably thinking you are about to read of feelings of fear and embarrassment, venturing into new activities, learning so much already....and you will get a little of that.  We'll start there.

I arrived the requested 30 minutes early since (although I had been paying) I was technically a newbie.  So, I got a new plan guide, new pocket book, new weigh-in pamphlet, and a new canvas bag.  I also weighed in and while I was scared to learn exactly how much I had gained since I "fell off the wagon," I learned that I had not gained it ALL back.  Although to be truthful, damn near close.  

They let me know that the regular Tuesday night leader was not there and there was a sub from a neighboring town.  I met her and she was very nice and positive.  She showed me some of the new tools.  There was one in particular that I did want, but had to buy the kit in order to have it.  The kit did have several other things that I could use, so I did decide to buy it.  


Here's where we actually get off topic of losing weight.  I went and sat down and there was only 1 other person there.  Other people started to file in and along came this couple.  They were very loud and obnoxious.  I believe the man may have actually been making fun of the woman next to him.  It probably started with him just trying to be funny and since he wasn't, she didn't respond as such.  Instead of stopping he just continued, making her feel uncomfortable.

Then the leader came in and introduced herself.  You should have seen the look on the woman's face.  


The leader introduced herself and then said she wanted to start out by reviewing what had been discussed in last week's meeting.  I obviously wasn't there...so thought I could not participate in the conversation.  Apparently last week's topic was about changing up your breakfast.  Apparently no one had tried anything new because when she asked she got nothing but....

**crickets**  **crickets**  **crickets**

It is at this point that I should explain to you what I do for a living in case you are new to my blog.  I am a trainer.  A very large portion of my day is to stand in front of people and inform/teach on a topic.  Along with that I must have the people I'm training engaged.  That engagement is what drives me...the more involvement I get, the better the lesson is going to go.  

In your own class, you build bonds with the people in your class.  Especially when you have a 6 week course like I do or (hopefully) a lifelong course like a Weight Watchers leader has.  

For the most part, I find that the involvement in the classes I teach is plenty.  It's when I cover someone else's class that I come head to head with the silence.  All trainers/ leaders build rapport, a bond so to speak, with the classes they start and the people in the groups learn the format of the original leader.  When someone else steps in, it's awkward.  So, no one knows how to communicate.

Because I've experienced this...I couldn't be quiet...even though I hadn't been apart of last week's conversation I broke the silence.  About the 3rd or 4th time that she asked about doing something different, I raised my hand and said, "Well, it's been 6 months or more since I've come to a meeting and I'm here now."  

I got a very grateful look and she applauded me.  

Now, in regards to the obnoxious couple - they were so bad...I wanted to get up and leave.  They were nasty to the leader...nasty to other members.  I am going to give the Tuesday night meetings a couple of chances...hoping that the couple isn't consistent in coming.  Also to test the group in regards to participation.  I am very social and like to share ideas.  This group didn't seem as though they were going to be very eager to talk.  We'll see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime....this is my mindset...


No comments:

Post a Comment