Sunday, October 9, 2011

Marathon Announcement

On September 27, 2011, I celebrated one year since I first had an ich to run.  It didn't take the first time and I switched to a focus on Turbo.  However, the idea sat in the back of my mind and when my friend Naomi sent me an invite to do Building Steam, I decided I had to do it.  Actually, being a goal setter helped me make this decision, as I had said I wanted to do a 5K before I turned 35.  I knew if I didn't do Building Steam, I wouldn't make that goal.

So, my running "career" actually started on April 11, 2011.  And I've been going pretty strong ever since.  I've ran the Steamboat Classic and the Firecracker 5000.  I also had signed up for the Main Street Mile, but unfortunately was nursing a sore knee and didn't get to participate. 



Of course...as everyone knows, I attribute my continued passion for running to the relationships I've made in Sole Sisters and the incredible support it's members show each other.



My birthday is on Thanksgiving this year, so only about 6 weeks away.  I will be 35.  I have made some huge accomplishments since my 34th birthday, as I had set out to do.  I actually started this year calling it "The Year of Accomplishments". 

So, it's time to be thinking about the goals I will start working towards this Thanksgiving day and for the next year. 

I had definitely already decided that I would be running my first half marathon (13.1 miles) with my friend Natasha in Kenosha, WI on May 5, 2012. 


I'm really looking forward to this.  Natasha has been a great running partner.  Gives me the perfect mix of conversation when I need it and quiet and concentration when that is what I'm looking for. 

And as of September 27, 2011, I have decided that the 2012 Chicago Marathon will be my first marathon (26.2 miles).  The 2011 Chicago Marathon took place today, October 9, 2011.  I had 2 dear friends run it today.
  
                                 File:Bank of America Chicago Marathon Logo.svg

When I started by fitness journey in September of 2010, I said that I wanted to do great work in the effort to end the epidemics of Bullying and Suicide.  But, before I could do that, I needed to show great dedication to myself and my health in order for anyone to take me seriously.  In my mind, anyone who loses 100 pounds has shown great dedication towards their health, and in return has hopefully set themself up to be healthy enough to help others.

Also something that you should know, my nickname from my uncles growing up was Walter Payton.  When I was young my uncles would tuck one of those little plastic footballs in the crook of my arm and have me back up to the end of the hallway in my grandparents ranch house while they said in slow motion, "Waaaalteeeeeerrrrr Paaaayyyyytoooonnn," putting the  "n" on it as my butt would touch the end of the hall.  I would take off running towards them and then they would "tackle" me. 

I tell you the two above points to help you will understand why it was important to me to make the Chicago Marathon my first.  There is a group that runs the Chicago Marathon called Team Sweetness.  I want to run the marathon as part of this group.



Team Sweetness is a group that has combined two Chicago Charities.

The Jarrett Payton Foundation:

The Jarrett Payton Foundation is committed to positively impacting the lives of children and adolescents – physically, emotionally, and psychologically – by creating and providing programs that present them with a wide variety of opportunities specifically designed to develop their leadership skills and enrich their lives. ~

Outreach:

The initial project in 2011 for The Jarrett Payton Foundation will be dedicated to anti-bullying. The Foundation efforts will be focused during the month of October, National Bullying Prevention Month. We will work with schools in and around Chicago to implement anti-bullying messages and programs to increase awareness and encourage safe environments for our youth.

The Jarrett Payton Foundation believes when given a chance, today's youth can be truly noble, and that is no bull.


and the Walter and Connie Payton Foundation:

Mission

We are dedicated to the emotional healing of neglected, abused and underprivileged children by providing tools and opportunities to build self-esteem and encourage a better family unit giving hope for a brighter future.


What is the Walter & Connie Payton Foundation (WCPF)?

Our foundation is about helping abused, neglected & underprivileged children in the State of Illinois. We strive to help boost these children's self-esteem and give them a reason to believe that tomorrow can be different..... That tomorrow can be better!


"Children have always brought a tremendous amount of joy to me and I feel that if you can catch them at a young age you can really change a life. There are a lot of studies that show that one act of kindness to these children has a 40% chance of making that child have a completely different outcome in their life. What you hope is that you can get a kid to believe in something and to believe in themselves."   ~  Walter Payton #34
More information can be found on the Team Sweetness website http://teamsweetness.com/index.html  and  http://www.payton34.com/


I do not believe that it is a coincidence that I made such improvements and lived my best life in the year of 34, Walter Payton's number was 34, and this year was the 34th year of the Chicago Marathon.  I will be running my first marathon at 35 and it will be the 35th year of the Chicago Marathon.

As soon as I am able, I will begin fundraising for my contribrution to Team Sweetness and the charities it honors.  I'm looking forward to making my family, friends, the Team, and myself proud. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll be with you in Kenosha!! Can't wait to add the Cheesehead medal to my collection. Looks like you've found the perfect charity for you to work with... and what a huge accomplishment the marathon will be for you!! My only advice ahead of time is to clear your calendar... The training, prep and recovery took way more time and energy than I had anticipated. Of course, without kids, that may come a bit easier for you. Good luck... and I'll be here every step of the way. I don't like to offer unsolicited advice on a regular basis, but please feel free to reach out with any questions or let me know if you EVER need anything... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! I will most definitely be seeking advise from you! I am lucky in that I don't really have family demands on time, so finding the training time shouldn't be as difficult, but I know there will be wrenches thrown in there now and then. I do think it's good that I have made the decision a year in advance so I can plan and prepare myself mentally for that time.

    I'm very excited! This will definitely be the biggest moment of my life.

    ReplyDelete