Friday, May 4, 2012

Regrets? New Beginnings?

I've spent the day thinking, reflecting, regretting, planning, strategizing....and the list could probably go on. 

Tomorrow is the day that I was SUPPOSED to run my first half marathon.  I registered for it at least 4 months ago (I'm thinking even longer than that).  I was supposed to start training for it in February.




But, as with the rest of my fitness, I put the training on hold due to my new job.  I had to stop and think, "If I do this, why am I doing it?"  I did want to do it, but I would have been doing it at this point simply because I said I was going to when others said I couldn't.  But I wouldn't be doing it because I was prepared.  And I decided I didn't want to risk injury.  I didn't want to prevent myself from training for other races like Steamboat and my marathon because I wasn't smart enough to say I wasn't ready for this one.  And, the half marathon was in Wisconsin, so it wouldn't be smart to get hurt there where it would be difficult for me to get home. 

I don't regret the time I've spent at work.  I am on a new account that needed (s) the time put into it.  I love what I'm doing, the people I work with, and feel greatly appreciated (most of the time).  My particular account/product isn't one that comes naturally to me, so I do have to put more prep time into it than others might.  At least for me to be comfortable.  And me being comfortable means a lot for my happiness and mood. 

I stand by something I said in either another blog post or possibly a Facebook post (quite honestly, I probably said it in both places) that it was okay to sacrafice my personal life a little bit for months, even maybe a year, if it meant then living easy and fullfilled for a lifetime. 

What I do regret is that part of what I sacraficed was my fitness which I had been finding great joy in improving.  I couldn't remember a time feeling better or having as much fun.  And the types of friendships I was making were incredibly different than any I had had before.




So, I've sat down with my Chalene Johnson Push book and I'm going to take a new look at my values and priorities.  Did they change?  Or did I just lose site of them?  Was my plan not good enough or did I just not follow it.  Did I not do enough to keep my priority statements the forefront in my mind.  I've read it recently and I still agree with it.  Do I need to do something different to keep myself reminded of it. 

What I know is that I loved how I felt when I was working hard towards my fitness goals. 

So, I'm going to sit back, read, and plan.  And the balance of work/fitness/life is going to be a little more equal going forward. 



5 comments:

  1. Glad to see your post! Missed them! You will get it figured out! Smart choice on not doing a race you aren't prepared for! My 18 yr old nephew ran a half that he had not trained for at all! Yes he is extremely fit from football but two totally different things. He couldn't hardly walk for 4 days, knee is really bothering him and hope it doesn't mess his chance up for the beginning of his college football career this fall! He may have to have surgery just because he wasn't prepared! Good choice! Good luck wirh getting your fitness mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete