Sunday, February 12, 2012

Beginning of 1/2 Marathon Training!!!

I'm hoping this is the start of my re-entry into the blogging world.  I know that I have been MIA in both the fitness and blogging world the last couple of months.  However, I'm now starting to work towards something that means A LOT to me, and is going to deserve a lot of my focus. 

Today was Day 2 of my training for the Wisconsin 1/2 Marathon in Kenosha, WI. on May 5.  I am so excited to be taking on this task of training and working towards a great acomplishment.

I've know since deciding to make the decision that it was going to be a big deal and would need a lot of dedication.  So in order to ensure that dedication, I was going to need to really work on the movitvation.

I wanted something that would make me remember every day what I was working for.  During the Cupcake Classic that I ran on October 22, 2011, as a celebration of my friend Jessica McMullin and her 37th birthday I won a necklace that said, "Will run for cupcakes." 

This got me thinking that there had to be more running or motivational fitness jewlery out there and so I got to looking online.  I found and my mother bought this ring as a gift to start wearing on the first day of training.



For the next 12 weeks, I will have the constant reminder of the 13.1 miles that I want to get through on May 5.  What an awesome feeling that will be.

Day 1 of training was strength and stretching, so I just did that at home after work yesterday.  I sure can feel the lifting I did!

3 miles was scheduled on Day 2 of training.  You know, it would figure that we have had absolutely the best winter ever, but until now I have spent none of it running.  As soon as I am making it a point to get out there, it has turned COLD! 

When I got up this morning it was 18 degrees outside.  I could have gone to the gym and ran on the track, but I didn't really want to add driving time to my workout not to mention the time that I might spend socially.  So, I did what I needed to do and got bundled up and headed out.  I say bundled up, but I'm shocked how little a runner can wear outside. 



My run wasn't great.  I bet I've only ran 3 times in the past 4 months.  Not good.  So I'm basically starting over.  But that actually makes me proud.  Not that I HAVE to start over, but that I am starting over.  How many times have we set out to get fit, fallen off the wagon, and then given up.  It happens all the time; is the story of my adulthood. 

But, I now know that I can do it.  So, the starting isn't so scary this time.  It's very exciting.  Cause I know what the end result is going to feel like. 


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting back on the wagon!!! Yes, we all fall off now and then. What training program are you using? I'm still trying to decide on one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bekah! I am using Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Novice 1 training program. Seems to be the most recommended. Let me know what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ring! Good luck with your training. You will be able to tackle that mileage by May!

    ReplyDelete